Nomination Day is Tuesday September 5, 2017 from 8:00am to 8:00pm at the Town Office, 170 Main Street. The Town will be accepting nominations for the position of Mayor and for the positions of six (6) Councillors.
In accordance with section 15 of the Municipal Elections Act, a person is qualified to be nominated as a candidate for councillor who:
- is a qualified voter in the municipality in which he/she is seeking nomination;
- is not in arrears of taxes or other charges payable to the municipality; and
- is ordinarily resident in the municipality, or in an area that on election day is part of the municipality, for at least 30 days before the commencement of the nomination period.
In accordance with Section 16 of the Municipal Elections Act:
- A candidate must be nominated by two persons eligible to vote in the municipality;
- The nomination must be in writing, stating the name and civic address of the candidate and must be signed by the proposer and seconder, both of whom must be present with the candidate and must also sign signifying his/her acceptance of the nomination;
- In circumstances where a candidate is unable to be present for his/her nomination, the Returning Officer may accept a declaration to this effect from the candidate’s nominators, together with a declaration that the candidate is qualified to be nominated and accepts the nomination.
In accordance with section 18 of the Municipal Elections Act, the Returning Officer must collect from each candidate at the time of his/her nomination, a non-refundable nomination fee in the amount of $10 when in a town.
For more information on the municipal election, go to portblandford.com/election-2017/