Port Blandford War Memorials
Following the end of The Great War (1914-1918), the citizens of Port Blandford erected a grey marble memorial on a hill in front of the Alton United Church. After the conclusion of World War II (1939-1945), the people of Port Blandford again had reason to honour their war comrades. A grey marble memorial was erected on a hill in front of St. Aidan’s Anglican Church, paying tribute to residents of the community who paid the supreme sacrifice during war.
In 1995, the Town of Port Blandford and the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #48 developed a plan to move the World War I Monument from Alton United Church and the World War II Monument from St. Aidan’s Anglican Church and unite them in one central location. The Town of Port Blandford proposed to maintain and beautify the proposed War Memorial Site.
After a year of planning and fundraising the Monuments were moved to the new site on December 23, 1996 and a new plaque was added to commemorate the Korean Conflict (1950-1953).
On July 1, 1997 the Town of Port Blandford, the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #48, the Alton United Church, and the St. Aidan’s Anglican Church held an unveiling ceremony for the dedication of the Monuments. The War Memorial Site is located in the center of town close to the Alton United Church and is the location of annual Remembrance Day Ceremonies.
Port Blandford’s ball field is located on School Road and was developed in the late 1970’s. One of the largest ball fields in the province, the site is used for soft ball, soccer, recreational programs and events like Family Fun Day. On the outside of the field is a 285 metre long walking track for residents, including rest benches. The Port Blandford Recreation Board provides recreational programs, does fundraising and assists the Town with maintenance of the facility.
The Port Blandford playground was constructed in 2017 and is located on School Road near the ballfield. There is a variety of equipment that can be used by children of all ages including slides, swings, teeter-totter, climbing bars and a mini-digger. The installation of the playground was the first phase of the community’s new municipal park project.
The outdoor rink was constructed next to the ball field on School Road in the early 2000’s. In the winter, volunteers flood the rink to create an ice surface for residents to skate and play hockey. During the summer, the rink has a variety of uses including street hockey, basketball and events at the Family Fun Day. The Port Blandford Recreation Board oversees the clearing and flooding of the rink in winter and assists the Town with maintenance of the facility.
The Newfoundland T’railway passes through Port Blandford and is easily accessible from just about any point in the Town. Use the T’railway all year round to hike, cross-country ski, ride snowmobile or ATV. Add a boil up, view scenic rivers and possibly see local wildlife.
Port Blandford is a great salmon fishing destination as the community is surrounded by three salmon rivers; Northwest, Salmon and Southwest. The classifications are as follows:
|Salmon||Class 2||Only tags 1 – 2 (red) can be used|
|Southwest||Class 2||Only tags 1 – 2 (red) can be used|
|Northwest||Special Management||Regulated by Terra Nova National Park through a draw system.
Please contact the park at (709) 533-2801 for more information.